So, since making my last decoden project, I’d been itching to use the technique for it’s true intended purpose: a phone case. This my first attempt, it’s super simple, and I had a little adventure right in the middle of making it, so I’ve got some fun troubleshooting tips for you, too haha!
- 100% Silicone – The pictured brand did yellow a bit, but I’ve found that the linked product stays a nice, crisp white.
- Star Icing Tip – I used a star tip, but you can use whatever you like.
- Sand paper
- Blank phone case for your model of phone – Pictured is an iPhone 4s case.
- Assorted cabochons, mini food erasers, toys, gems, button whatever you want to cover your phone with – Everything I used is linked here!
- Not pictured: E6000 glue – For previously mentioned troubleshooting :/
- First, take your case and sand it lightly to create a rough surface for the silicone to adhere to.
- Following the directions from my first decoden post, attach the cake decorating tip to the silicone tube.
- Working vertically, start at the top and begin piping all the way down the case. Repeat until the case is evenly covered with silicone.
- Halfway through making this case, I ran out of silicone (DOH!) and I had to run out to Target really quickly to grab another tube. But, when I was coming home from the store, I got caught in the middle of a torrential downpour and it took forever to get home. Not to mention I was totally drenched when I got in! It took long enough that some of the silicone I’d already piped was starting to harden a bit, so you’ll notice the right side of the finished case is a little more defined than the left. That’s why. By the way! An hour after I’d gotten home, the sun was out and everything was dry. Womp womp.
- So after it’s all covered, start smooshing your stuff in! I just kind of made it up as I went, starting with the big pieces and filling in the spaces between.
- Since one side was a little dry, I smooshed as best I could and used the E6000 on the backs of the charms as well, just to make sure they would hold.
- Let it dry forever (two days) and you’ve got an adorably super cute new phone case!
I’m totally smitten with this lil thing! It’s, pink and sugary and cute and covered in cats! Plus, I love the gaudy look of other cases, but I think this one blends my desire for simplicity with my tendency for collecting. It’s minimal and busy!
Do you think you’d ever rock something like this?